Saturday, January 12, 2013

Year of Faith Series: Days in the Chapel


I started the Year of Faith Series as an attempt to further explore my faith and the teachings of the Catholic Church. Through this series I will dive deeper into specific faith filled moments in my life, teachings of the Church, and new ways to strengthen my faith. I'd love for you to join me in this journey throughout the Year of Faith, declared by Pope Benedict XVI. If you are interested in doing a guest post in the series about your faith journey please email me @coffeewithmamaleigh@gmail.com.

Shortly before we moved about a month ago, strangely, I found myself with some time to myself before I needed to pick my daughter up from preschool. I decided to head across the street to our Church. After circling the Church, trying every door, I realized that only one door to the entire building was open.

I made my way inside and just sat there for a while. I love going into Churches or chapels when they are empty, I always have.

Back in high school, when I coached volleyball for the local Catholic middle school I used to spend time in the chapel every day after practice. I did it out of habit, not because I was this devout Catholic. In fact at the time I was really struggling with my faith. I spent about 30 minutes every day in the chapel  with a note pad writing out plays and line ups for the girls. I'm sure that isn't exactly what God had in mind...

There is something about just showing up that God honors though. He knew I was coming to him for help, even though I never asked. He's smart like that.

It reminds me of when my mom would ask me to clean my room when I was younger. Reluctantly I always agreed to do it. I would tell her, "Ok, I'll do it. I won't like it though". Despite my attitude, just by going through the motions, my room eventually became clean.

I think God works the same way. I went to the chapel. I went through the motions. I told God, "I'll show up, but I'm not going to like it". But my heart became clean anyway. He worked in me, and made me believe. God dissipated my doubts. He made me trust in him and his timing. In the tiny chapel, alone, He gave me a sense of peace I didn't have before.

As I sat in the Church, kneeling before the Tabernacle, I remembered those days and thought about all the people in this world who could find a sense of peace and trust in God like I did, if only they'd show up.

As I left the chapel that day I felt myself wondering, "How do you convince people to just show up so God can work in them"?


1 comment:

  1. You question how do you convince people to just show up so God can work in them? Is a great one, I have found inviting people to church and activites at the church is a great place to start. When I plan on attending a speaker or a class I make sure to invite my friends and family. I was able to attend a Matthew Kelly event with my sister, and sister-in law last year at a local parish.

    ReplyDelete