Tuesday, October 30, 2012

A Cinderella Pumpkin Carriage

Tomorrow is Halloween! Yesterday I came across a post from Marie at Help Them to Heaven about how her family celebrates Halloween. The post completely captures how I feel about the holiday now. I love Halloween, but I am not so crazy about all the spooky stuff that goes along with it. However I didn't always feel that way about Halloween. When I was younger I would participate in all the spooky stuff, and I really did enjoy it. Then I would have nightmares and not be able to sleep for weeks. The simple neighborhood haunted houses freaked me out that much. I have found that a less frightening Halloween works a little better for my sleep patterns.

This year we (as in I) decided to continue the non-spooky tradition and turn our pumpkin into Cinderella's carriage! I had a complete blast doing it.


We picked up the pumpkin at a big pumpkin patch. If you are wondering how excited a 3 year old girl will get in the midst of thousands of pumpkins... now you have a better idea.


Here is how I made the carriage:

Materials:
  • 1 large pumpkin
  • 2 smaller pumpkins (for wheels)
  • Sharpe
  • a knife
  • Craft glue
  • glitter
  • floss or very thin string/thread
  • Tulle material
  • Twine
  • Push pins
  • 2 small horses (purchased from Dollar Tree)
  • Cinderella character (from an old McDonalds kids meal toy)
Directions:
  • Draw out one large square and 2 window looking shapes on each side on front of pumpkin

  • Draw out 2 thin rectangles on top of one another, about an inch apart on the side of pumpkin (this will be used to tie twine to attach the horses)

  • Cut off top of pumpkin
  • Scoop out all the seeds
  • Carve out drawn shapes
  • Cut 2 smallish squares of tulle to fit inside the large square
  • Bunch each one together and tie it with the floss (your making curtains)
  • Uses the push pins to attach the curtains to the top of the inside of the square and the sides of it (warning: don't replace this step with hot glue: it doesn't stick to pumpkins!)
  • Cut one large string and thread it through the side rectangles then tie the ends around the 2 horses
  • Make swirling designs with glue and sprinkle the glitter on them
  • Put 3 push pins in the bottom of the large square cut out to prop up Cinderella
  • Add one smaller pumpkin to each side of the large pumpkin for the wheels
  • Now you have a Cinderella carriage!

Don't forget to cook your pumpkin seeds. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and bake for about 7 minutes. Sprinkle with salt!

I'm linking up with Works for Me Wednesdays today!

What do you find works best for you Halloween celebration? Do you like all the spooky stuff or do you skip Halloween all together?


5 comments:

  1. Love this! Can't wait to show this to Flynn...she is being Cinderella for Halloween! She loves her! Happy Halloween!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an awesome idea! This is so adorable! Happy Halloween!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I am SO impressed!! That is an awesome pumpkin! Happy Halloween!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Halloween! This is so, so cute! I don't like the spooky stuff as much, but I love putting together costumes and doing the fall things like pumpkin carving!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this! I agree that Halloween is more fun when it's less scary.

    ReplyDelete